GASKET – AN IRREPLACEABLE COMPONENT IN EVERY APPLICATION
A gasket is a mechanical sealant that is used to prevent leakage of gases, vapors or any other liquid. They are irreplaceable in the applications they are used in. Rubber gaskets are multi use yet a much underrated product. In spite of being extremely versatile, this component has not got its due. Right from pressure cookers to cameras, gaskets are used in several high usage everyday as well as industrial products.
Gaskets are made up of different types of rubbers. The size and the shape of a gasket depend upon the shape of the component that it is intended for and the application that it is to be used in. Though gaskets are customized as per these two factors, yet one particular gasket may be used for two or more components. Several factors go on to decide the kind of rubber that needs to be used for a gasket. The amount of wear and tear that the component may see, the level of usage of the component, tensile strength, hardness of rubber required and the percentage of compounds are some of the factors that go on to decide the kind of rubber that shall be used for making a gasket. Once the rubber is chosen as per these factors, the sheets of that particular type of rubber are then cut into gaskets of requisite shapes and sizes.
The rubber variants that are generally used for making gaskets include:
- Neoprene: Neoprene gaskets offer good resistance to ozone and weathering but moderate resistance to petroleum products.
- EPDM – EPDM acronym for Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer offers excellent resistance to grease, oils, ozone and weathering.
- Nit rile – Nit rile gaskets offer excellent resistance to petroleum product and average resistance to wear and tear, and abrasion.
- Silicone - Silicone gaskets are used in a variety of uses but especially in the automotive industry.
- Santoprenes – This is a high performance elastomer that offers high flexibility with low compression.
For More Details:
ALFA RUBBER & SPRINGS PRIVATE LIMITED
A-13/A, SIPCOT INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX,
TAMILNADU 601 201,
TELEPHONE : +91-44-27922057
EMAIL : email@example.com
Website : http://alfarubber.com/